Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Top of staircase = Sex?


I was reading my previous blog and while reading it, I started to think about other scriptures engraved in my memory that were related like Galatians 5:22 or 2 Peter 1:5-7. The scripture that I focused on last blog was Romans 5:3-4, which says, "… but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope." – Romans 5:3-4, NIV.

I eventually ended up with this thought. I wonder if God really likes cake or the idea of it. Paul writes in other letters using this "cake structure" like Galatians 5:22, 2 Peter 1:5-7, and a few other places.

Now God's form is not structured, but I do believe that God's work can be some-what structured. For example, the book of Leviticus is very structured. God commanding Abraham to sacrifice Issac includes some sort of structure amidst the sacrificial process. Another example is the book of Revelation. When Jesus has completed his second-coming, those who will be saved will be working in a city and praising God. There will be structure to the work that will be in Heaven. And there will possibly be structure with our worship to God.

Although I really like the idea of cake, a staircase seems to be a more appropriate fit to this epiphany of mine. I believe that if we want to be more like Jesus, we have to understand the structure and importance of staircases.

I remember when I used to wrestle in tournaments, at the end of the battle, the top three would be crowned. Third place would step up one, second place would take two steps, and first place took three steps. When I placed (took top three), I would complete the appropriate amount of steps I had to so I could take ownership of my deserved level. After Father God was finished and completely satisfied in His creation, He crowned Adam with the "highest" ownership over all creation.

Another example is in Genesis 11- man built a tower streaming up high to the heavens. I imagine that there would be some sort of "staircase" on that tower. And like I wrote earlier, Paul writes using a "staircase" type of structure for certain verses like the fruit of the Spirit (Gal. 5:22, 2 Pet. 1:5-7) or hope (Romans 5). For some odd reason I really get fired up with these verses. Perhaps it is because of my history as a wrestler and understanding the feeling of being victorious and knowing that I have fought well to the top. Who knows...

I remember watching a weird, romantic comedy with Jack Nicholson a couple years ago. I don't remember the name of the movie, which is probably good because I don't think it is a good enough recommendation. Anyways, in this movie, Jack plays a character who is married/dating, and at an old age, he wants to continue having sex with his wife/girlfriend. But he's so old that he could have a heart attack during their "multiplication" time. I forget who the character is in the movie, but I believe that a doctor is there to help the man (Jack) get healthy so that he can have sexy-sexy with his wife/girlfriend. The epic scene is the doctor brings Jack to a staircase on the beach. The doctor then challenges Jack... If He could run up the staircase without falling over and dying, that would affirm that he is physically capable of having sex again.

Hebrews 12:1, the author writes about running a race so that we can persevere. For Jack Nicholson's character, in order to persevere to have sex, he needed to run up the stairs. I believe that there is a "staircase" theme intertwined in the verses above. And I believe for us, through the power of the Holy Spirit, we must persevere with our every day faith so that we can live righteous, holy lives. We must run up the stairs, win our race in partnership with the Holy Ghost, and humbly rest in our godliness.

No comments:

Post a Comment